FIXING OR REPAIR OF AC COMPRESSOR IN AUTOMOBILES.
The universal fact that we cannot deny, we all love cars and treat them like babies !!
From the Invention Of cars, one thing which has made the driving experience more pleasurable is the Insertion of Air conditioning in cars. Chilling temperatures of cars in rough summers give us all serenity and comfort.
No matter what design you purchase, how latest the model is, how expensive or which brand you choose, frequent servicing of automobiles is essential to save from early breakdown. If your Air conditioning stops working it can make your expensive car ride hard.
Have you noticed or heard the noise from the air-conditioning cabinet, the sound of moisture leakage, or the damage of the suction pipe or Heating of the A/C cabin?
These can be initial signs of an air conditioning compressor breaking or failure.
This article specifies full detail about the Air conditioner fixing or replacement process and also answers questions that are frequently asked regarding compressors.
- What is an AC compressor and what does it do?
- How does AC work?
- How many types of Air Conditioners are in cars?
- How to identify damage in an AC compressor?
- Why does the AC compressor get damaged?
- Signs of AC failure
- How to Repair or Replace Compressors
- When do you need to repair or replace a compressor?
- Can you repair the compressor on your own?
- How much does it cost?
- Should you replace your compressor?
- Equipment require to change compressor
- Procedure to replacement of old compressor
WHAT IS AN AC COMPRESSOR AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
AC Compressor is a main part of the Air conditioner and known as the heart of it. It increases the refrigerant pressure to convert the vapor into liquid refrigerant. The compressor is housed inside the condenser unit and the segment that begins the chain response cools the refrigerant. It ought to be noticed that warmth advances toward cooler regions. At the point when the room temperature air goes through the evaporator unit, heat is wiped out from the air.
The compressor used to cool your vehicle works likewise to the one in the cooler in your kitchen. The work of the blower is to move fluid refrigerant around in a line. The blower siphons, or powers, the fluid from the evaporator into a condenser and development valve, and afterward back to the evaporator.
There are three normal kinds of blowers:
Double-chamber reaction cylinder Model
Four-chamber radial type
Six-chamber axial type
The motor drives the blower with a belt. In real life, the blower takes the low pressing factor refrigerant from the evaporator and packs it as per speed also, air temperature. The channel side is known as the low (pressure) side and the outlet side is known as the high (pressure) side. The blower packs the refrigerant and raises its temperature higher than that of the encompassing air. Then, at that point, the blower powers the refrigerant into the condenser.
HOW DO AC WORKS?
Air conditioners in cars work similarly to the refrigerators in our homes and are used for the same purpose of cooling the temperature and saving Humans from humid or summer. We all love chilling temperatures inside cars during rough summers and working as heaters in harsh winters and it’s all because of thermodynamics used in cars, which provide a comforting temperature inside the car according to the user. Air conditioners in cars have similar elements with air conditioners in our homes except for the size to fit in a small space.
Elements used in the Air conditioner are:
- RECEIVER DRYER
- AC INLINE FILTER
- EXPANSION VALVE
- EVAPORATOR OR ORIFICE TUBE
Air Conditioner is easy to start on the face of it with just one press on the button, but there is a whole complex process which is done in minutes to turn hot air from outside into a cold breeze.
It all majorly starts with a compressor, An AC blower runs off a pulley that is joined through a belt to the driving rod of your motor. This forces 5-10 cylinders (contingent upon vehicle). They are kept in low-pressure and temperature gas and pack it into high-pressure & temperature gas. This gas is transferred to a condenser where fresh air comes from outside and contact with high-temperature refrigerant and cools it down. Next, High pressure and low-temperature refrigerant move in from the inlet of the drier or accumulator. In this place all the water (moisture) is removed with the help of desiccant and filters (removes dirt, metals, pollutants from the air).
Cold and High-pressure air is now sent to the Orifice tube, it is controlled on the basis of the requirement of refrigerant in the AC system. It lowers the air pressure and keeps it cool and reaches the hot part of the evaporator where hot air can be converted into cold and dry air which can be fanned in the passenger cabinet. The hot, low-pressure refrigerant vapor returns to the compressor and continues to circulate.
HOW MANY TYPES OF AC SYSTEMS ARE IN CARS?
Majorly there are two type of Car AC systems in a car:
- ORIFICE TUBE AND BATTERY SYSTEM
- EXPANSION VALVE AND DRIER INLET SYSTEM
HOW TO DETECT AC COMPRESSOR DAMAGE ?
The compressor is the heart of the air conditioner, and you won’t take it seriously until it stops working. Noticing and repairing AC in the early stage of Damage.
Earlier symptoms of an AC compressor damages that can further transform into full destruction of the Air Conditioner.
- Air Conditioner is broken
- Air Conditioner blowing warm air
- Air Conditioner switching auto on/off
- AC tripping on circuit breaker
- Air Conditioner start making noises
- Heating of Air conditioner
WHY DOES THE AC COMPRESSOR GETS DAMAGED?
There are many reason that can affect compressor:
- Dirty coil
- Blocked Suction lines
- Low refrigerant charges
- Incorrect suction line size
- Too much refrigerant
- Electrical problems
- Insufficient oil
SIGNS OF AIR CONDITIONER FAULT
Every machine gives its early signs to take care or need repair, it just requires observation.
Delaying or ignoring might cause more damage or replace the whole AC cabinet, which may be expensive.
- Air conditioner is taking a lot of time to start
- Air Conditioner making sound in starting
- Blowing warm air first
- Compressor facing issues
- Circuit tripping
- Leakage or Discharge of refrigerant
- Pungent odour from AC
TYPES OF FAULT IN AN AIR CONDITIONER.
A machine can get faulty because of many reasons, there could not be one reason for fault.
Damage could be of internal mechanism or other substance. Sometimes water can affect the working of AC, or the fan may not be working properly or there is a problem in the compressor or other parts of AC. If your car is an old version or it’s been quite a good time of purchase, then it can also be the reason for frequent faults.
It is best advice and recommendation to take help of experts or mechanics, as they are professional and have experience in the same. Please avoid making changes of your own as it can harm you or your car more.
HOW TO REPAIR OR REPLACE COMPRESSORS
Operating cars could be fun or miserable. If you love working on machines and have knowledge of cars and its parts, it will be a fun game to repair or change Air Condition parts.
WHEN DO YOU NEED TO REPAIR OR REPLACE A COMPRESSOR ?
Replacement or Repair decisions depend on the amount of damage occurred in the Air conditioner. Standard rule to come to specific decisions on repair or replacement could be, if the expense of repair is more than half the cost of a new machine, then you should go for REPLACEMENT. If repair requires less money then repairing is a better option.
Few minor faults can be fixed with repair but major defects in compressors or motors need replacement. Repair can fix damage for time being, but there are chances of its occurrence again in near future.
CAN YOU REPAIR THE COMPRESSOR ON YOUR OWN?
Honestly, Repairing or even replacing any car part is a technical job and requires knowledge of it. A person should be familiar with car parts and working to change or fix any part of it.
New learner or Beginner cannot perform such acts or if you are trying any of these must be done under supervision of a mechanic or car expert. If you have knowledge or had work in this field or had done or learned it before then you just need equipment and a toolbox to make your car AC better.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Estimating a fixed cost of an Air conditioner repair is difficult because the cost can be different according to model and design and damage in the part. Important part damage will cost more money then minor damages.
- Car brand
- the availability of spare parts for car brands
- Warranty period of the vehicle
- Repairing from a mechanic or doing it yourself
Roughly around $1000-$4000, Varying on your model and damages in the AC cabinet including damages in compressor and motor. If the error is small and does not require a lot of effort, it can be ignored.
SHOULD YOU REPLACE YOUR COMPRESSOR?
Decision of replacement can be dependent on the various factors, foremost could be warranty period of your car. If your car is in warranty period then you should replace it. A compressor is a vital part of Air conditioner, if the compressor is not repairable then you have no option other than replacement.
Signs that your AC blower is falling flat include:
- Coolant spills
- Vibration when the air-conditioning system is turned on
- Interval cooling
EQUIPMENT REQUIRE TO CHANGE COMPRESSOR:
- New blower
- Fundamental hand devices, for example, torques, screwdrivers, fastener, and pincers
- Refrigerant recovery tank
- Hardware to recuperate and charge framework
PROCEDURE OF REPLACING AN AC COMPRESSOR
Firstly, it’s important to identify the type of compressor used in your car as variation in compressor might cause other equipment damage in the car. Best way to find it out is to refer to your car model and design or compressor number or design could also be found on the old compressor present in the car.
Remove all the power connection and switch off circuits to stop the flow of electricity in the car before opening any part of it.
Once AC compressor is open carefully take out all refrigerant and placed in the refrigerant a
Tank, it should not be left open in the atmosphere.
Installation should be done with all care and precaution, wear proper gloves and glass to avoid any accident.
STEPS TO REMOVE OLD COMPRESSOR AND INSTALLING NEW COMPRESSOR
- A/C compressor will be situated at the front of the motor with support of belt-driven adornments.
- Compressor needed to be empty before replacement, the refrigerant should be realised into a tank by an expert. Prior to the A/C framework can be adjusted, the refrigerant should be eliminated from the compressor and done with an evacuation system.
- Spot the serpentine belt tensioner. On the off chance that you struggle tracking down the tensioner, counsel the belt steering outline.
- You can easily find it on the sticker on the engine or in the vehicle maintenance manual.
- Use an accessory or wrench to remove the tensioner from the belt.Regardless of whether this is clockwise or counterclockwise relies upon the vehicle and belt directing. Sometimes tensioners have a square opening to end into, instead of a screw head for an attachment or wrench.
- Detach the belt from the pulleys. Keep the tensioner away from the belt and remove the belt from the pulley.
- Separate the electrical connectors from the compressor. These should pull out easily.Disconnect the pressing factor hoses from the compressor
- Utilizing a fastener or wrench, disengage the pressing factor hoses from the compressor.
- Fitting them to the same framework as in the initial stage. Eliminate the blower mounting bolts.
- Utilizing a fastener or wrench, remove the compressor mounting bolts.Remove the compressor from the car. It should come out with a little pulling, however be cautious since it is heavy weighted.
- Prepare the new compressor. Check the new compressor with the old one to guarantee they are the same.
- Then, at that point eliminate the residue covers from the new compressor and add a modest quantity of oil to the new compressor (normally around ½ ounce). Most compressors use PAG oil,or Polyol Glycol.
- Replace the pressing factor line o-rings. Utilize a little screwdriver to eliminate the o-rings from the A/C pressing factor lines.
- Correctly place a new compressor into the vehicle and adjust to fix it properly
- Reinstall the mounting bolts. Reinstall the mounting bolts and fix them down
- Reinstall the lines. Reinstall the lines and fix down the bolts.Reconnect electrical connections.. Return the electrical connection to its original position.Position the belt on the pulleys, following the belt and all the battery connections
- Push or pull the tensioner until the belt fits the pulley.When the belt is set up, you can deliver the tensioner and remove your tool to fit it properly.
Cars are a long-term investment, an efficient car can run for years with timely maintenance and services. But minor faults are parts of an efficient car in the long run. With this article you can easily replace your compressor and enjoy a sunny day in your chilled car.